Top Headshot Tips For Men
When you get the best photos of yourself you attract the right clients or get the job interview you applied for. The best male headshots are authentic and genuine. They show personality, approachability, and professionalism when done right. When you hire the right photographer they will help you achieve this goal.
I know how important men’s headshots are for an online presence. I want you to succeed, get incredible headshots, and go after your dreams. Let’s get started.
What to wear for male headshots
The number one question I get as a professional photographer is what to wear for professional headshots. There are 5 tips to keep in mind when deciding how should men dress for a headshot:
- Wear well-fitted clothing. Not too tight but not too loose.
- Dress for the industry or job you want.
- Long sleeves are better for headshots than short sleeves. The less skin that shows in the photo the better.
- Solid colors are better than patterns. This goes for coat jackets, dress shirts, and polo shirts.
- Wear appropriate attire that relates to the field you are in. If it is common for men to wear a tie then a necktie should be worn.
Pro male headshot tip:
Try on the outfit a couple of days before your photo session. Bring 2 -3 shirts or jackets for a variety. If you are still unsure of what to wear check out other profiles on LinkedIn specific to your industry or job type. This will give you ideas of what men are wearing for their professional headshots.
Hairstyles for men’s headshots
Your hairstyle should reflect how you look on a daily basis. When someone sees your online profile photos or headshot on your website, it should reflect how you look in real life and in person.
# 1 Tip for men’s hairstyles
Don’t get a haircut the day before your headshot session!
How do I style my hair for a headshot?
- Men’s haircuts should get a haircut 5-7 days before their photo is taken. This allows for the hair to grow back and look more natural without fresh cut lines.
- Shaving your head If your daily routine includes shaving your head then continue to do this the day of your session. If you shave your head every few days we recommend not to take headshots with a day of a shaved head. Wait a couple of days.
- Clean hair It is best to have freshly clean hair for no more than 2 days without shampoo. Wash your hair like you normally do and use hair products that you use on a daily basis. This includes conditioner and styling products.
Facial hair and headshots for men
Your facial hair should represent how you look on a daily basis
- If you shave every day continue this and shave the day of your photo session.
- Know your skin type, and avoid razor burn with proper products.
- Keep your look groomed and professional.
- Don’t ignore nose hair, ear hair, or untrimmed eyebrows. This might not be your favorite area to address but it is important
- Be mindful of the industry or job type you want.
- Avoid new facial or shaving products that haven’t been used before. You don’t want any surprise reactions right before your headshot session.
Professional headshot poses male
You are most likely not a model. This might even be your first time getting professional photos and you don’t like being in front of the camera. So how do you pose if you are not comfortable and it feels awkward?
# 1 tip for male headshot pose
Put your weight or lean on one leg, slightly bend the opposite knee, and stick your head out like a chicken pecking toward the camera. Yep, it might feel awkward but try it.
What should I do with my hands for the photo?
Even though this might be a headshot or a 3/4 body shot we recommend for men’s headshots put for fingers in the pocket with your thumb out. Your opposite hand can gently hang in a relaxed position by your leg. This is a nice comfortable pose that goes well with the above tip.
Choose a professional photographer that can be your director and guide you during your photo session. This will produce the best outcome for your headshots.
Male headshot facial expressions
Should I smile in my headshot?
The short answer is yes. When you smile in your photos your look friendly, approachable, and trustworthy.
- Be sure your smile is genuine
- Show your teeth when you smile
Other facial expressions:
- Slight squinch of the eyes
- Small head tilt
- Accentuate the jawline
When you combine all these facial attributes together it creates a pleasant look that attracts people to your photo.
How to prepare for a professional headshot session
Preparing mentally for your session is a good idea. Feel confident on the day of the shoot. Know and trust the photographer you hire. Rest, relax, and enjoy your session. Have a plan, don’t rush. Organize your outfits the night before.
- Avoid alcohol the night before your session
- Get plenty of rest
- Stick to your plan
- Iron outfit the night before
- Try on outfits in advance
- Exercise the day of headshots
What is the best color to wear for a headshot?
- Plain colors are the best choice.
- Patterns are too busy and distracting for a headshot photo.
- Avoid flesh tones, beige, peach, browns, or yellows. As these will blend your face and arms into the outfit.
- Keep color choices in the mid-tone range.
- Black and grey are a safe bet.
Ready to get started? Book Your Free Consultation Today!