Professional Headshot Tips For Women
Here are some Professional Headshot Tips For Women. Professional headshots for women are more important today than ever before. When you get the best photos of yourself you attract the right clients or get the job interview you applied for. The best headshots are authentic and genuine. They show personality, approachability, and professionalism when done right. When you hire the right photographer, they will help you achieve this goal.
In the many years, I have been photographing business headshots we are asked the same question over and over again. “What should I wear for my professional headshots?” So I put together our recommendations on professional headshot tips for women so you can have amazing portraits. I know how important your photos are to your online presence. I want you to succeed, get incredible headshots, and go after your dreams. Let’s get started.
What Do I Wear?
Wondering what to wear for your headshots can be a difficult process. My biggest question for any type of photo session is “What should I wear for my photoshoot?” A lot of times, people rush out to find clothes they think will work well for their portrait sessions- often not even trying them on first. So before you make a mad rush out to buy a new wardrobe- here are some helpful tips.
What to wear for a female professional headshot?
Choosing the right outfit for a woman’s headshot can be challenging. Follow these simple tips to get the best results.
- Wear well-fitted clothing., Not too tight but not too loose.
- Avoid low-cut tops.
- Long sleeves are better for headshots than short sleeves. The less skin that shows in the photo the better.
- Pastel colors and other neutral colors should be carefully chosen. You don’t want the outfit to blend in with your skin tone.
- Blacks, greys, blues, and purples that are toned down are good colors to wear.
- Be sure undergarments are not seen through the top.
- Straps and bras aren’t hanging out.
- Your wardrobe should reflect the type of job you are in or looking for.
- Wear appropriate attire that relates to the field you are in.
What About My Hair?
Your hairstyle should reflect how you look on a daily basis. When someone sees your profile photos or headshot on your website or online, it should reflect how you look in real life and in person. You want to look like your photo so there are no surprises when you meet someone for the first time in person.
How do I style my hair for a headshot?
- Getting your hair done on the day of your photo session is beneficial.
- Blow-out bars are recommended for the day of the shoot.
- If you normally wear your hair straight don’t get it styled with too many curls.
- When cutting and coloring hair have this done about a week before your headshots are taken. This allows for time to look more natural.
- Avoid frizzy flyaways in your photo by washing your hair the night before or having styled the day of the shoot. Apply products that help maintain hair.
Should I Bring Jewelry? What Colors are Good For My Clothing?
Jewelry & Color Choices
Should you wear jewelry in a headshot?
- Keep jewelry at a minimum, if any at all.
- Necklaces can be too distracting in a headshot.
- Big shiny earrings will take the focus off you.
- It is not recommended to wear big clunky jewelry in a professional headshot.
What is the best color to wear for a headshot?
- Plain colors are the best choice.
- Patterns are too busy and distracting for a headshot photo.
- Avoid flesh tones, beige, peach, browns, or yellows. As these will blend your face and arms into the outfit.
- Keep color choices in the mid-tone range.
- Purples, blues, and greens, can be flattering.
- Black and grey are a safe bet.
What About My Make Up?
Skin & Beauty Tips
If you decide to have makeup done professionally be sure to make it look natural. Don’t overdo it. Make-up is meant to enhance your beauty and conceal minor blemishes. Keep in mind this is a headshot and you want it to reflect how you look if they met you in person.
Should I wear makeup in my headshot?
- Yes, wearing makeup will look good in photos.
- If you do wear makeup be sure it is evenly applied.
- Keep it to what you wear on a daily basis. So your photos reflect how you look.
- Avoid too much makeup. No one has perfect skin, we don’t’ expect you to conceal all blemishes. Learn more about professional retouching images here.
- Think more natural than a glamour shot.
- Get plenty of rest the night before.
- Stay well hydrated. This does wonders for your skin.
- Avoid facial treatments, waxing, and mask the day before.
- Moisturizing your skin leading up to your session is always a great idea.
- Keep with your daily routine, don’t try new products right before your photos.
I’m So Nervous, How Can I Do This?
#4 The Right Mindset
Preparing mentally for your session is a good idea. Feel confident on the day of the shoot. Know and trust the photographer you hire. Rest, relax, and enjoy your session. Have a plan, don’t rush. Organize your outfits the night before.
- Avoid alcohol the night before your session
- Get plenty of rest
- Stick to your plan
Ready To Get Started? Book your free consultation today!